Friday, November 20, 2009

Overwhelmed With Information

My parents are redecorating their bedroom, so they cleaned it out. Out of the depths of their closet came a treasure trove of genealogical information. I've devided it up into photographs and documents, and the end tally is one big box full of photographs (with lots, and I do mean lots, of old, black and white photo's) and two boxed full of documents.

There are really special things in there, like my grandfather birth certificate from Germany. That's the first time I've ever seen his parent's names, it's brought me a next generation. But also a small envelop full of memorial cards for my uncle who died as a child. I now also have two In Memoriam pieces about my grandfather I never knew, because I was too young too remember him when he died.

Now that I've roughly sorted it into two 'piles', I can now actually do something with it. For the photographs, I'm slowly going through them with my parents to identify who's in them, scanning them, and filing them first on surname then on first name and approximate date. For the documents, I'm sorting them into big piles for the last names, then I sort them for each individual. I then input the data I get from them into my genealogy program, scan it, and then I file it, in chronological order under that person's name.

It's a lot of work, and it's going to take me quite a while, but it's so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment