Wednesday, January 6, 2010

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy - Challenge #1

This weeks challenge: Go to your local public library branch. Make a note of the genealogy books in the collection that may help you gain research knowledge.

My library has quite a lot to offer a genealogist. I've just listed the books that were 1) of interest to my research and 2) in the genealogy section, which means that general history books that give information about the surroundings of ancestors were not taken into account here.

Burgerlijke stand en bevolkingsregister by R.F. Vulsma ; a book dealing with primary sources from 1811 onwards.

Dagen, maanden, jaren: tijdrekenkunde in kort bestek by W. Wijnaendts van Resandt; a book dealing with the different calendars you encounter as a genealogist.

Genealogie: van stamboom tot familiegeschiedenis by Rob van Drie; a book about how to turn your genealogy research into a family history story.

Genealogisch onderzoek in Duitsland by J.G.J. van Booma; a book about genealogical research in Germany (import because I have a German branch)

Geschiedenis van het priveleven: bronnen en benaderingen by Pieter Stokvis; a book of articles about genealogy with the focus on the privat life of people, very informative.

Heraldisch vademecum by H.K. Nagtegaal; an encyclopedia about family weapons, primarily about the designs

Hoe schrijf ik geschiedenis? By Jan van de Wetering; a book about writing your family history

In tijd gemeten: inleiding in de chronologie by C.C. de Glopper-Zuijderland; another book about different calendars you can encounter when doing genealogical research.

Internet bij stamboomonderzoek by Yvette Hoitink and Jeroen van Luin; a book about using the internet when doing genealogical research, probably too old to be of much use anymore.

Onderzoek bij het Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie by Rob van Dries; a book about doing research at the Central Bureau of Genealogy here in the Netherlands, the first stop any genealogist should make after exhausting the resources they already have at home.

Op zoek naar een biografisch portret in het verleden by Kees van der Wiel; a book about finding material to write a biography about someone.

Oud schrift; several parts that teach you how to read old writing.

Repertorium DTB by W. Wijnaendts van Resandt; a book that gives a global view of the available primary records from before 1811.

Verre verwanten by Rob van Drie; a book that gives possible sources to find information about certain aspects of your ancestors lives, like school, health, and professions.

And some general how-to guides to genealogy in the Netherlands

Gids voor genealogisch onderzoek in Nederland by P.W. van Wissing

Gids voor stamboomonderzoek by Roelof Vennik; my personal favorite and one that’s on my wish-list for my personal library

Maak uw eigen stamboom by Gerard van de Nes

Handleiding voor genealogisch onderzoek in Nederland by J.C. Okkema

Het stambomenboek by Els W.A. Elenbaas

De stamboom en geschiedenis van uw familie by Henri Vannoppen

Stamboomonderzoek voor beginners by Rob van Drie

5 comments:

  1. Which version of our book 'Internet bij stamboomonderzoek' do you have? Most of the information in the 2006 version is still valid, although there are some great new websites we would like to add in a new version. There are no definite plans for that yet, but we're thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have really looked hard at the resource section. I admire that. I myself am really shallow. I just look for my ancestors. I should give some time to this area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for participating in the "52 Weeks to Better Genealogy" challenge. I hope you find it fun and useful. I look forward to reading more if your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Yvette: I don't know for sure which version it is they have in the library, but I know for certain it's not the 2006 version because I remember borrowing it after a internet genealogy course I did in 2004.

    @ hummer: I used to look for just my ancestors too, until I found some really, really intersting information (by accident!) on several related people who weren't my direct ancestors, but had ties to them. That caused me to open my eyes to the wider picture.

    @ Amy: I really liked this challenge and I'm looking forward tot the next 51!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @J.M. Then it must be the 2002 version. We have taken care to focus on the methods instead of the particular websites so most of the information there is still correct.

    However, the 2002 version is aimed more at genealogists who are new to the internet, which is a rare breed nowadays. In 2006 we shifted the focus to both new and experienced genealogists who are already familiar with using the internet but not necessarily with using the internet for genealogical research. We've changed the entire setup of the book so it more closely follows the logical steps in the genealogical process.

    ReplyDelete