Monday, February 8, 2010

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy - Challenge #4

I'm back! *waves at everyone* Things got unexpectedly hectic around here, so I didn't have time to post anything. So, I'm a bit behind on the 52 weeks to better genealogy, so expect some 'catch-up' posts this week.

The challenge for week 4 was: Learn about your local public library’s inter-library loan (ILL) policy. Pick a genealogy-related book that you want to read that is not in your library’s collection. Ask the librarian how to request the book from another library. Find the different library systems from which you can request books through your own library, as this can dramatically increase the number of genealogy books to which you have access. If you have a genealogy blog, write about your experience with requesting items through your library’s ILL service.

I've actually used the ILL system of my library many times. It's really easy, there's a site where you can search for the book you want and if a library (any library in the Netherlands) has the book, you can reserve it. Within a week or two the book you request can be picked up at your own library branch. Easy as pie!

Currently, I have an ILL book here at home. De geschiedenis van het Voorschotense voetbal by Hans Douw is a book about the history of the soccer clubs in Voorschoten. My grandfather is mentioned outright in the book (just one sentence, but still), and since both he and many of my other family members since him have been involved with one or more of the soccer clubs here, it's a very interesting read. It tells me some of the things they would've been involved with, and paints a picture of their lives as it was then.

This book was a limited edition book and can't be bought anymore, so the library really is the only option in this case, but my own library didn't have a copy. Thank God for ILL!

No comments:

Post a Comment